My car VIN# 467 was delivered on October 26 at the factory. Thoroughly enjoying the car, feel like I am part of the future when I am in the car. Simply Awesome!
I was gone for more than a week in the middle, and here are a few issues I noticed so far, and what I was told by the service guys at Menlo Park Store.
1. Car pulls to the right from day #1. Probably an alignment issue. Service says alignment is something that Menlo Park does not do, they either send it someone else or back to Fremont, and to take care of it, they need an entire day. Sounds like a little inefficient.
2. Ambient lights buzz. Service says that is a known problem, when you set display brightness at below 90%. If it is set at 90% or above, the buzzing goes away. They are looking into solving the problem.
3. Bluetooth - Music from the phone (I tried a couple of different phones) cuts out intermittently. Phone functionality, on the other hand, is almost unusable. Multiple calls to multiple people ending up in other people not hearing me consistently. Service says, they have not heard of it, but will discuss with engineers.
4. Media - Surprised to see video on internet is completely disabled (not just when the car is moving).
5. Music from phone - If the car is playing the music on the phone before I turned off the car, turning back the car on does not resume the music play from the phone. I will have to press multiple things for the car to start playing music again. Most of the other cars resume the play when I come back to it.
6. Mute - There is no mute button anywhere on the screen. Probably easy to add to the volume up and down control at the bottom right. Yes, pressing the left scroll wheel works, but why not on the screen as well?
7. Door handles - Door handles actually work pretty well. Reading about them before I got the car, I thought they would be gimmicky and irritating, but I have been pleasantly surprised how nice they are and how well they worked. A few times, I have noticed that the door handles extend but the doors could not be opened. Not knowing what else to do, I had to fish the key out of my pocket, lock and unlock the doors using the key. Seemed to fix the problem. There is one irritant, however. When I walk up to the car, I usually want to throw my back pack in the back seat. I can't just press on the door handle on the rear door, probably because the car wasn't unlocked yet. I will have to press on the front door handle, and then open the rear door. Same is the case with unplugging the charge cable.
8. Range - Surprised to see the new range on a standard/full charge is 230/270. Not 260/300. More importantly, I can't seem to get rated and projected close to each other. The best I could do was within 35 miles to each other. Most of the time, in the morning, with the rated range being 234, the projected range is typically less than 200. Even if I understand why this is, it just bothers me that 300 mile range car I bought, in practice, really gives me something below 200. I am not sure if I can get to Los Angeles from San Francisco even if I stop at Harris Ranch for one hour on the way for Super Charging!
9. Charging - I charged the car over a Saturday night (230 mile rated range at the time). Sunday morning, I unplugged the car, and left on a trip. I came back six days later Saturday morning to find the range below 150. A little surprised that it is so low. As I was about to drive, there was a warning saying that air is low in the tires. Checked all four tires, none of them were flat. I also noticed that there are two dashed lines on the dial in the dash. It seems like one of the lines is similar to the one you see when you MaxCharge the car, it is limiting the amount of regen. The second one, I have not seen before, is around 160kW line. it seemed like it wanted to limit the power I can use to drive the car. Worried about the low tire pressure, I did not drive the car hard at all, and the tire pressure warning went away after a little bit of driving. I also could swear I saw projected range is higher than rated range. But, that reversed soon after.
The explanation for the last one was, it was cold that day, and therefore, I got the air low warning, not a big deal. But the two dashed lines do not make any sense at all. The service guys didn't have any idea. I got the advice that I should have taken a picture of it so that they can see what I was talking about. I DO travel a lot and I usually leave my car at the long term parking where there are no chargers. I don't want to come back to a car with bunch of problems. Service simply advised me to leave the car plugged in when I travel, because the car does a lot of things while it is not being driven. A-little-hard-to-swallow explanation!
As I am rereading this message, it sounds negative. I want to make sure that everyone understands how thoroughly impressed I am with the car. For being the first model of their lot, the fit and finish is excellent. The car drives extremely well, with hardly any annoyances. The purpose of the above list is to inform each other and learn from each other.
Any insights into any of these issues will be very helpful.
Please Login to Comment