PLEASE JOIN US AS WE SHARE THE LATEST NEWS FROM TESLA MOTORS Elon Musk, Tesla CEO cordially invites to join him for an exclusive reception at Tesla Oslo Showroom & Service Centre on Wednesday, 6th March 2013
Count me in. Lot's of questions to ask ;-)
Ooops.... "Valid for invited guests only."
He is in Europe for the Geneva Motor Show I guess. Hopefully I'll meet him the 8th in Geneva ;-) at least I get to see the MX for real.
I got the email invite tonight as well and signed up for the event :)
Invites seem to be sent to a fairly random crowd. Haven't gotten one. Like a number of sig reserves...
cordially invites * to join him
*GeirThatsisname, official invited guest #327
@ Brian H
Hmmm.... #327, really? I'll wait and see if you are right on this one.
Latest word is you have to reserve today to get into the reception. First come first serve. However, when you are assigned a vin# to meet Elon, those with 85s will move to the front of the line, then 60s, and maybe 40s depending if he stays till late may or not...
(The above is a joke, ha ha, not serious, pleas don't get up in arms now...)
Got the confirmation mail that I'm registered to the event. There came also a mail that the event is now fully booked! Looking forward to it :)
Will Elon Musk be attending the Geneva Motor Show as well?
On which day(s)?
@Benz, I think so. I will be there the 8th. If I don't meet him, at least I have seen the MX.
I am thinking of going there myself as well.
And I am interested in the Tesla Model X.
But even more in meeting Elon Musk and asking him a few questions.
Hey Nick. Someone started a thread called "The Smoking Gun - NNT". They are looking for you over there.
Hi I got the invitation as well, unfortunatly I can' t attend.
Don't know of the will be any QA session, but if and if there are and some that find my question
Intersting it would be great if any of them could be adressed to Mr. Musk.
1. Possiblity to set car to keep high suspesion at higher speed, up to 80/90km/h?
2. Softer ESP, that allows for slightly weels spin to get up hills.
1. Better insulation of the batt pack to prevent heat loss.
2. Liquid heater, like webasto or similar. To heat the batt pack when driving and when park places whe plug in and prewarming is not possible (like on the montain after a ski trip).
As well as the heat the cabin. This way the range in winter condition will be almost the same as in summercondition. Could be fitted in the Frunk..
As the FM shouts down on Norway by 2017, will it be equipped with DAB+ (important it's DAB+ not only DAB).
Hope there are planes to install a few in Norway, due to reduced winterrange it should not be more than 200km between each.
Thanks for any assistance.
One person on the norwegian electric car forum is planning to stream the event. See http://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/topic,7219.msg80077.html#msg80077
@glaserud: Do you know how to follow his stream?
No, I just know the URL (posted in another thread at the same forum):
Norway superchargers announced, construction starts in June ahead of deliveries.
In the triangle between Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim. Also in Stockholm.
Model S in Europe will have 3 Phase Charging, ChaDeMo and Mennekes charge adapter, pictured here:
Live stream starts at 10:00am Pacific from Oslo Tesla store:
Right now it is streaming a crowd with an open mic, no one there. Did I miss something, or is it yet to start?
@shop, yet to start, it seems. Around 10:15 PST an announcement was made (in Norwegian, so I didn't understand it), probably saying how long the delay would be.
Great broadcast so far. The main piece of information for us North American owners: Elon just said that the European version will start being manufactured in June, and will have a different built-in charger. It's a lighter, more efficient 3-phase charger. The charger cable will come with a Mennekes adaptor (on the house side), as well as a CHAdeMo one. Given that the Euro charger is going to be different, there is no guarantee that the CHAdeMo adapter that will come with the Euro MS will actually work with US models (Elon didn't say that but I'm guessing... Although now that I think of it, CHAdeMo is DC current, so having a different charger might be irrelevant. TBD...)
Other questions that Elon answered:
- Cold and hot weather performance: he talked about an upcoming feature whereby the driver can pick the temperatures at which the battery heater or cooler will kick in.
- Sleep mode: Elon admitted to a 1% to 2% parasitic power loss while the car is parked, and that a future software release will restore sleep Mode, which will reduce loss to .2% according to him.
- He said that Tesla is monitoring Supercharger usage, especially the idle times between use, and will deploy extra parking slots once it's determined that a particular location is underequipped.
- Future 3G connectivity: Tesla will negotiate the best deal with cell providers and will not derive any financial benefit from the 3G service. It will pass on the cost to us owners without upcharge (I'm assuming that it's also true for US owners)
- He said that there is a good chance that by the time Euro owners get their cars, WiFi will be enabled (July?).
Here's the recording: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29780151
Well, good show. I always like listening to Elon talk - you know you aren't being BSed like, oh, almost every other single CEO in the world.
Two things that were new for me. One is that they are looking to raise the Supercharger power level from 90KW to 120KW. So instead of 150 miles of charge in 30 minutes, that would mean 200 miles of charge. Or conversely, instead of waiting 24 minutes for 120 miles of charge, you would wait 18 minutes, or something like that.
Second, he said that he no plans to leave the helm of Tesla, so he's remaining as CEO for the foreseeable future.
I came into the question and answer section as I missed the primary talk. Elon had several comments I hadn't heard confirmed/clarified before (although it may have been stated elsewhere before).
1) When Wifi is enabled, it will include Google map caching.
2) The battery pack could be swapped out for a different pack size sometime in the future (no commitment when). The example was if a 120 KW pack became available in 5 years, an existing car could be upgraded. He didn't state a 120 KW pack would be available, it was just a number I think suggested by the questioner.
3) Worst case reduction in battery capacity would be under 20% at -40 degrees, and typically 10% at freezing. Don't hold me to these, but I'm fairly sure these were the values expressed by Elon.
4) While not recommended, if you did a Range charge every day, the battery warranty would not be voided.
jemartin - I think he said 2-3% parasitic loss right now without sleep mode per day, but when sleep mode is re-enabled, then 0.1%.
Also of note was his winter driving condition range loss estimates. He said about 10% range loss for a -10 Celsius day and about 20% for a bitter cold -40 Celsius.
@Frank2 about 2)I think Elon also said this swapping would work IF they could fit 120KW into a pack of the same dimensions. This would work because there is intelligence built into the car side and into the battery side of the connection. He stated this was not the case with the roadster, where all inteligence is on the car side, making it harder (not impossible) to do a future upgrade with a different pack size.
oeps noticed the comments here to late.
My notes here: http://www.teslamotors.com/nl_NL/forum/forums/some-notes-norway-event
George starts talking at about 5:30 into the recording.